Narrowing the Digital Divide

Evidence shows that broadband usage can create significant economic benefits for those who adopt it, and conversely, it can create significant economic disadvantages for those who don’t. Internet access could make the difference between those who succeed and those who do not.

That makes the findings of a 2011 study by the U.S. Department of Commerce so alarming: “Americans with disabilities are dramatically less likely to use broadband at home than the population without disabilities.”  While 68% of the non-disabled population uses broadband at home, only 37.5% of people with disabilities do. We need to turn that around!

The reason most often given by people without a home internet connection is lack of need or interest. However, the next two most frequently given reasons were cost (26%) and lacking an adequate computer (18%).  Together these account for a total of 44% of the population who don’t have home internet access.

Here at CTP we are doing our bit to change those statistics through our Computer ReUse Center project. We provide low-cost, good quality refurbished computers to people with disabilities, low-income people, schools and nonprofits.  For more information about CTP’s Computer ReUse Center, call (510) 457-1272.

To view the full report by the Department of Commerce, click here.

Check Also

Graduate Profile: Diondre Jordan

Union City native Diondre Jordan, 22, came to the Computer Technologies Program after finding himself …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *